When you walk into the local bicycle shop(LBS), facing so many kinds of different bikes, I believe you will feel head explodes and overwhelmed. Especially when it comes to price, and with the self-promotion of store personnel.
What bike should I get? Well, you have come to the right place. This is a guide to buying bicycles for sale online. It can help you choose a bike that suits your needs and how to save your money.
what type of bike should I buy?
This problem seems to be bothering you and most starters. Despite the varied of bicycles, but they are can be classified into 3 types of paths — On-road, Off-road, X-road. First off, think about what kind of terrain your bike is going to ride on.
- On-road, refer to all paved pavements, such as asphalt, pebble.
- Off-road, represents unpaved pavement, such as trails, roots, and rocks.
- X-road, means mixed terrains who you’re riding on-road plus off-road, and dirt roads and gravels.
As a knowledge point, each type of terrains used different tire wide and tread patterns for perfect handling that you can work.
This terrain has road bikes, cruiser bikes, and urban bikes. Those bikes are usually equipped with thin and smooth tires from 23mm to 32mm to provide faster scrolling.
Off bike tires wide from 50mm up to 100mm, and with rubbers that provides greater grip under loose conditions, and can absorb great impact but their rolling is slower.
X-road is the product of a marriage between road and mountain bikes, tires wide from 32mm to 50mm. Those bikes are designed to be ridden on mixed surfaces and can handle some unpaved pavements and provide good power on the paved road.
Now you basically have an answer, and I believe at least narrow the scope of your choice. However, except base on your terrain, you can also filter by bicycle function — like speed, electric, fold, seat, and wheels.
- Single-speed bikes just have one gear only. They meet your commuting needs in the downtown. Because excess speed and shift are redundant here. Traditionally, the beach cruiser is a single speed bike. There are 7 speed or 3-speed cruiser bikes for sale today.
- E-bike is a bicycle but with an electric motor and battery attached, and halves the effort takes to cycle to work. This saves you a lot of time and hassle of commuting.
- Folding bikes save storage space for people living in the metropolitan and are not easily stolen.
- Tandem is a bicycle with at least 2 seats, and suit those who want to together training, play or events.
- Tricycle is a bike feature with 3 wheels. The recumbent bike is a new family member. These bikes built for fitness and touring.
OK, you may be obsessed by gender to screen when buying a bike. That’s not true, there is no gender in adult bicycles. But people billed step-through frame’s bicycle as women’s bikes.
Now, let’s talk about what is your ride for. And, the use of bikes is basically divided into commuting and sports.
The most basic function of a bicycle is to use them as a means of transportation. With regard to commuters, buy a right bike usually depends on your riding route and the distance to be covered.
- If you are commuting on the city’s oil cypress Roads with 3~5 miles, the stylish single-speed bikes and easy with convenient folding bikes will attract you.
- If your travels are under 15miles mixed path, then gravel road bikes and hybrids can cope with the muds and gravels on the ground.
- If you are riding on the long-distance paved roads(20 miles), an endurance road bike or a flat-bar road bike you should go.
- If you have joint damage or your journey is too long, an electric/motorized bike can provide help and power for you. They do not require a license but the speed limit is up to 20 miles per hour.
Mountain bikes have too many elements of sport, and we don’t consider it as an option. If your distance is too rough and long, my suggestion is an electric scooter bike or gas motorcycle or a car.
Though more and more people use bicycles as green life part today. But entertainment, fitness, and even are their main battlefields.
Entertainment, almost all bicycles can be your options I don’t know your interest.
- If you like the stunts, BMX or fixie bikes(single speed class) can be your options.
- If you interested in adventure and open country, mountain bike, gravel road bike(road sub-type) and cyclocross bike you can go.
- If you’re wandering around the neighborhood, the most basic beach cruiser or tandem bike just well.
- If you live in a place near the beach or snow, a fat tire bike(mountain sub-type) will get you big fun.
Fitness, an endurance or flat bar road bike(road sub-type) is the best choice when it comes to long-distance ride(greater than 20 miles) except for specific-fitness bikes. If it is a medium ride, a hybrid bike can do it.
If you are a runner or swimmer and hope the bike to training, an endurance road bike can be helpful yet.
For the race bike, your choice is pretty straightforward. If the trails, roots, and rocks are your tea, then look for mountain bikes just get a wheels size. The glory of speeds? If your goal is not to stand on the podium, an endurance road bike will be fine.
Path-based, there are only 3 categories of bicycles. But for different groups of people and needs, they have derived some subtypes. Coupled with the publicity(make money) of manufacturers, this has created unnecessary confusion and difficulty in selection.
In terms of multifunction, a road bike is your best choice. With thicker tires, disc brakes and a more upright geometry, many of the current road models are fast, efficient and durable. You will notice that those bikes usually are the road bike’s sub-types.
Cycling is a workout that fits in relatively easily because it can replace a morning and afternoon commute.
This is a good chance to build your muscles. As it works the glutes, quads, and calves and leaves you with lean muscles from your ankles all the way up to your lower back.
Some of the less obvious benefits include surprising improvement in core muscle groups from balancing, which improve your posture, and upper body strength as well, giving you an all-over workout.
Once you have identified which one of the types, the budget may be annoying you again. To avoid this, I suggest that you set your budget to be flexible, not fixed(E.g under 500).
As an experience, 300~600 dollars of the budget is a reasonable interval. However, it’s worth what you spend a little more than your budget. You get what you pay that is a verity.
Please continue to browse my other articles, I have compiled a few online for sale bikes to compare and review for you that will help your SAVE your cost and biking today.